Today we went to Derry (Or Londonderry- depending on whether you're a nationalist or a loyalists) and got to visit the Bogside. The bogside is where bloody Sunday happened in the 1970's so there is a lot of really rich history there.
We got to see about 10 huge murals that were painted on buildings by the bogside artists that really represented the whole war from a neutral point of view. One of the artists gave us about an hour tour explaining the symbolism behind each mural. It was really powerful to hear his story, since he lived through the turmoil.
After our time in the bogside, we went back to our N. coast cottages, and the next day we went to the beach. It was so beautiful. I have been to the Atlantic more times these past few months, than i ever had in my life. It's made me appreciate the Majesty of God. On Sunday we went to a vineyard church. It was just like an American vineyard church, except people had accents and they served tea rather than coffee, but it was good worship and just a relaxing Sunday, with subway following. It was just like I was at home :).
After church we drove up to Dundrum, the quaint little town I'll be residing in for the next few months. We couldn't get into our cottages until the end of Sept. so for now we're staying in the Murlough House. (pronounced Mer-logck) This is a house for missions groups that come through and we're about half a mile from the beach, about 3 miles from the cottages we'll be staying in (across a beautiful bay) . So you can image the beauty I'm surrounded in. I'm excited to get to know the locals of the town and just submerge myself in Irish culture.
that's all for now. I'll keep you posted...

No comments:
Post a Comment