So on thursday we went back to Dublin, which is about 2- 2 1/2 hours from Dundrum where we're staying. We got the chance to go to Trinity college, which has a few of the first Illuminated manuscripts, including the Book of Kells, which is the most famous one. Illuminated manuscripts are the gospels, written by monks, that have very intricate drawings and have been made with vellum, they're very intricate..i would encourage you to google it, because it's stunning and hard to describe.
After that we went to the National Museum, it had the Ardagh chalice, the Tara broach, and some of the bog bodies, along with other ancient irish Art that we've been learning about. It really was fascinating, but quite a long day. I wish i could explain in more detail the history behind the art, however I'm on fall break and have currently shut my brain down.
For fall break Lydia and I left to go to Nottingham, England. After arriving at the airport 12 minutes before our flight left, 18 minutes after our gate supposedly was shut, we sprinted through the airport, cut in the security line with many thanks and apologies, we got to our gate with 2 minutes to spare, and made our flight panting and wheezing. I will update you with the adventures we have while we're here, since we actually made it here. Cheers!
-AP
Saturday, October 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
How great Andra! I've seen pictures from the Book of Kells and would love to see it in person.
Post a Comment