Tuesday, October 7, 2008

This isn't the way You intended it to be.

So, I had Irish Literature today with Prof. Bingham. He is so knowledgeable and passionate. I always love his class. We've read a lot of C.S. Lewis, and other local artists like Seamus Heaney and Michael McLaverty. He's the one I had to write a paper for on poetry that I wrote about in my last blog. Well, i also had to write a poem for him on a piece of C.S. Lewis' book Miracles. This poem had to be about the incarnation of Christ and that was pretty much it, we had freedom to be expressive and creative after that. He told us that poetry was emotion recollected in tranquility. So we got our poems back this morning and he was really pleased with mine. He told me i got a very well deserved 'B' which, for my first poem, I'm really proud of. So I decided I would let you all read my poem...let me know what you think.

"This isn't the way you intended it to be..."

This isn’t the way
You intended it to be.

All this hurt
All this pain
All this doubt
All this shame

You came to Earth
As a helpless little baby

To restore
To redeem
To reclaim

I wish people would
Just open their eyes to see

All your power
And majesty

Instead people waste
Their time and energy

Trying to prove
Your birth a joke
Going against
Your miracle

This isn’t the way
You intended it to be.
You came to Earth
As a helpless little baby
I wish people would
Just open their eyes to see
Instead people waste
Their time and energy

I see you
Everywhere I look.
I see you.

Your birth
Your miracle
Your power
Your majesty

Yet I see

All this pain
To restore
All this hurt
To redeem
All these hearts
To reclaim

This isn’t the way
You intended it to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful Andra! I'm so glad you posted it.