so, i know i just posted yesterday, so don't be too overwhelmed with my exceeding amount of posts haha...
This blog is mostly to be a break from homework but also just a few of my reflections on what I've really been learning lately.
Currently I'm sitting at my "friendship families" house doing a little homework, drinking a little americano (espresso and water) relaxing and enjoying myself. Jenny and I are sitting on 12 acres of beautiful hills and ponds, with cattle, in a beautiful house with tons of art and wonderful hosts. Its actually been a really fun afternoon. We went for a walk around the property, they have a some buildings on the property that are traditional Irish 'servants houses' built in the 1500's now renovated and made into a workshop. Hopefully the rest of the team is enjoying themselves as much as me right now.
Spending time in Portugal, and now in Ireland, I'm learning about environmental conservation and environmental issues that we don't talk much about in the US. The church I'm attending in Ireland has provided a "friendship family" and mine is fantastic.
They are environmentally conscious, having a solar heated heat and hot water system. Also, here in Europe they have switches for their plug-ins. Chargers for cell phones, computers, and really whatever else are constantly running energy through them, so here when they're no in use, they can be turned off, like a light switch closer down to the floor. Every place here has recycling bins, even the beaches of Portugal were lined with them. Even the toilets have 2 flushers, (1 for #1, 2 for #2) to conserve water. It's really encouraging to see other people making an effort to help the environment and economy by doing the little things they can do. It's so simple to do our part, we just have to be willing to do it.
(this blog doesn't really flow, it's more a compilation of thoughts and reflections...hope you're prepared...)
Also, I'm learning a lot about the Christian life in America and really having to process and think through the way we as Christians are perceived. I really wish we could love better. I know individuals are loving, but collectively as a people, i wish we could come across as loving, not critical, or judgemental. Today the pastor preached about church splits, and how churches split because of miscommunication, and often times our egos, always thinking we're right and not taking on the humble attitude of Christ. He said we each have individual talents and abilities but need to use each others gifts to make our stronger. Like an orchestra. 3 violin players won't sounds as good together as a violin, flute, and cello. But if they're willing to work together, they make beautiful harmony. I thought it was a beautiful picture of the Bride of Christ, living harmoniously as one. It made me think of Siloam, apparently all the churches in town had one big service a few weeks ago. I heard nothing but positive feedback from it. I'm convinced that's the way the church is supposed to be. One body, many members.
So, one of my classes is Irish Lit. It has absolutely intrigued me. Post of you know I'm not one much for reading, but lately i haven't been able to get away from books. I read Ender's Game in Portugal, and loved it! not only do i not like to read, i don't like science fiction...I guess I do now :)...But the reading material we have is just amazing. In Irish Lit. we're doing a section on poetry. At first I wasn't really into it, but I had to write a paper about it and now I can't put it down. I even e-mail a few poems out to people, so they could enjoy them. I'm surprising even myself with this love of learning that has taken over. One of the classes is reading "This troubled land" about the conflict in Northern Ireland, but it's the class I've replaced with an independent study, but I'm reading it anyway and it just helps explain the rich culture here. I love it.
Well, that's kind of a conglomeration of what I'm learning and doing. There's so much more, but as I already stated, this was primarily a break from homework.
A simple request, to conclude my post.... My team is almost at our halfway point, and that's generally when homesickness hits, along with quarrels and whatever else. Pray for our team attitudes, towards one another and those in leadership. Pray for Scott and Tasha as they lead this team, may they have wisdom in their leadership, and pray that we continue to remember that God is our family, although it's inevitable that we'll miss our families, he is all we need to sustain us.
thanks for reading...
Sunday, October 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment